Monday, August 18, 2008

Happy Anniversary to my folks

So, August 19th, 2008 will be my parents' 52nd anniversary. Can you believe that?

With the marriage statistics being what they are, this seems a monumental feat. But, if you ask my parents (and the majority of people from their generation), they don't think it's anything but perfectly natural.

When my parents celebrated their 50th, we (the kids) had a big party for them, and many, many of their friends attended. I noticed that some were widowed, but ALL were still married. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a single couple of my parents' vintage, in their circle of friends, who went through a divorce. Seriously. I'll give you one huge reason for this: My parents, and their circle of friends, are Christians. The second reason: They're old. I don't mean that in a mean way, I mean to say that when they were tying the knot, the vows meant what they said: Til Death Do Us Part.

After the festivities had wound down during the 50th celebration, I asked my folks "So, what's the secret?" After a couple of silly answers (such as "I can't imagine training another one"), they both said "We take our vows seriously." How simple is that? I will guarantee that if I asked either of them (I wouldn't waste the breath) "So, how did you manage to stay faithful all these years?" the answer would be exactly the same.

Thank you, God, for blessing me with such a beautiful example of what marriage is meant to be.

By the way... when your folks get to a certain age, they don't need more 'stuff', so it's difficult to find gifts for them (well, the ol' Cracker Barrel gift card never goes to waste). I was bumping around the card aisle looking for something fun, and found the most ridiculous card I've ever seen. I had to get it! This thing said "Congratulations on your..." and ended with "Anniversary" -- but in between, there was a cut-out window, and behind this was a wheel with all the different years on it (I didn't see where it started & ended, but 52 was in there!). The message inside was typical greeting card drivel. Couldn't resist.
I also included a deck of cards. It's symbolic, get it?

I love these guys.

No comments: